Titanic side view. Illustration to show how the Titanic was divided into sixteen transverse compartments. Titanic's sixteen bulkheads extended from the double bottom to the middle deck, and at its highest pint, to the upper and saloon decks. There were as few doors as possible, all operated upon the new system installed by Harland and Wolff. Titanic was built by Harland & Wolff in Belfast Ireland during 1910 - 1911, and sank on 15th April, 1912, after striking an iceberg off the coast of New Foundland during her maiden voyage from Southampton, England to New York, USA, with the loss of 1,522 passengers and crew.