Published June 1, 1949
Le Noviciat, photographed by André Kertész, was designed by Patrice Bonnet, chief architect in residence of the neighboring Chateau de Versailles, for Commandant Paul-Louis Weiller and redecorated after the war by Lady Mendl (Elsie de Wolfe). 'The gardens,' wrote the editors, 'which cleverly adapt ideas from the neighboring Park of Versailles to an everyday scale, are notable for a small green amphitheater and eighteenth-century statues.' The square terrace consists of pockets of turf alternating with slate pavers; the surrounding statuary is by Le Poussin. This image ran in the June 1949 House & Garden.
Photo licensed from the Condé Nast Collection, home of The New Yorker, Vogue, Vanity Fair and other popular brands. Find this and other artwork at the Condé Nast Collection.